Sunday 15 March 2015

Optimism : Never rule out the possibilities


Optimism is something that inspires you, aspires you and motivates you for a better future, a better tomorrow – a tomorrow where the possibilities are endless, you just ought to be optimistic and have optimism.

I’ve been instilled similar thinking by my father, who has always taught me that “nothing is out of reach, if you’re willing to put in the hard yards”. It’s not often that you come across people who tell you that nothing is “hard” for you, you can achieve anything and everything, it’s the optimism of life that I found one such person in my father, who truly serves as an optimistic factor in my life.
I remember when I was 7-8 years old, I’d see my father watching the cricket watch but what bewildered me the most was that he could understand the English language and grasp as to what the commentators were thinking. Mind you, I was only 7-8 years old and wasn’t very fluent in English, I didn’t properly understand the language.

I asked my father (in Hindi) “dad, are you able to understand everything that the commentators are saying” and my Dad replied “of course son, why!”, I began to explain “dad, I don’t get what they’re saying”, my father smiled at me and said “son, that’s because you’re very young and are still learning the language”… This filled me with optimism and I couldn’t help but ask “so that, when I grow up, will I also learn to speak and understand this language?” and my Dad just nodded his head and smile at me.

Now this may not be the most detailed of the stories or any life changing story for that matter but looking upon this day today, I do realize how easily my father showed confidence in me and made me realize that yes, one day definitely, I’d be able to understand and speak in English. For a young kid, there’s nothing as fascinating and understanding and learning a whole new language and this fascination was inside me too.

At the age of about 12-13, I remember that my father and I were watching a cricket match and my father said to me with a cheeky smile on his face “are you able to understand what the commentators are saying!” and I replied “yes, why!” and he said “well, a few years back you were worried as to whether you’d be one day able to understand the commentators speaking in English and just 5 years down the line, you’re able to understand them, remember!” and I just smiled but I did remember and I did in fact cherish the optimism that my father filled in me.


The point of the above story is; no challenge is big enough for you. We all have that “one” motivating factor in our life that fills us with optimism and assures us that regardless of how tough “THE dream” may be, but with hard work and determination, anything and everything is possible – that’s the magic of optimism, never rule out the possibilities. 

Aditya Jha Author

Aditya Jha is 20 years old and has had a passion for writing since a young age. He has had the great honor of being published in the book "blank space", which featured his fictional short story "a writer's tale". He has also published 2 ebooks - Best.Generation.Ever. and An Iron Lady (Autobiography on his grandmother's life). He has great passion for speaking and is a Delhi University Debator - having won various laurels for his speaking.

1 comment:

  1. https://shathabdhitownships.com/project/plots-in-shadnagar/

    ReplyDelete